Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Review: Rimmel Glam'Eyes Trio Eye Shadow in Orion

I'm a sucker for a nice earthtone palette, and I've been eyeing the new Rimmel shadows ever since Kimberly shared those pics with us back in January. I had good luck with the Glam'Eyes singles that Rimmel released back in early 2010, so I was hoping for similar luck with this trio:

Rimmel Glam'Eyes Trio Eye Shadow in Orion
(retail: around $4.99)

I picked this up when Rimmel was 50% off Walgreens, and I also had a $1 coupon so I got it for around $1.50.


The colors in this trio are MUCH more true-to-life in the picture on the left, but I still wanted to include the picture taken with flash so that you could better see the shimmer in the medium brown shade. By far, that's the most shimmery of the three shadows, but it's still not an intense shimmer--it comes across as more subdued on the eye.

The darker brown and cream shades have a very subtle sheen to them, which actually comes across as more matte on the eye. Any way you slice it, these colors are natural-looking and subtle and those who shy away from shimmer would probably feel very comfortable using this trio.


In the above swatches, I swatched each shade alone, and then over Urban Decay Primer Potion. I thought it was interesting how these colors look more neutral in the pan, but appear warmer on my skin.

As you can see, the shimmer in the medium brown shade is much more obvious, whereas the sheen in the cream and dark brown shades is almost undetectable once those shades are on my skin. Without primer, you might as well call the cream and dark brown shades matte. The sheen is definitely more apparent with the use of primer.

Worn without primer, I can get about two hours of wear from these shadows before I start to see fading. With primer, the colors are more vibrant and I can get about four hours of wear before I start to see fading. Most disappointing about this trio is that I just can't seem to get the colors to really show up on my eyes (thus, no eye-look pictures for you). I think this has more to do with the fact that the lid color in this trio is very close to my natural skin color. It literally disappears as I blend it.

I find the texture and blendability of these shadows on par with the single I reviewed last year. I think they're easy to work with, easy to apply and easy to blend. The only thing I'm not impressed with is the staying power.

FINAL VERDICT: Rimmel Glam'Eyes Trio Eye Shadow in Orion isn't a "wow me" palette, but that's not the issue since I'm not always looking for "wow me" colors. I think a lot of us are looking for day-to-day palettes that we can apply without any thinking or guesswork, but I'm afraid that, for me personally, this isn't one of those palettes. The lid color (which I was hoping would be a good "wash of color" shade) is too close of a match to my natural skin color, so it disappears when I apply it. The cream shade is a nice almost-matte highlight shade, and the darker brown shade is a nice contouring shade, but since these shadows don't last long on my eyes (around four hours with primer) I don't see this as a trio I will reach for when I'm in a hurry and need something dependable to get me through the day. I'm so sad this one didn't work for me, since I loved last year's Glam'Eyes eyeshadow singles.

Do you own any of the Rimmel trios or quad that were released earlier this year? If so, how do you like them?
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I bought the Rimmel Trio in Lagoon (2 blues and a white highlight color) and hated it. :( The colors were one-note and chalky. Mine also didn't blend well at all but ended up a dull, murky mess. I am really disappointed, especially since Wet n Wild can do such beautiful colors at an even lower price!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been impressed with Rimmel shadows. I don't bother with them any more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didn't get a trio but i did get one of their new quads when they were brand new; I like it, it' not very vibrant and doesn't last long. i understand what your mean about them blending away, i have urban flower by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this trio, and was really dissappointed. The medium color was what attracted me to it, and it was the most dissappointing. It had a ton of fallout and I couldn't get the color to show up. The dark brown is very nice and worked well in the crease though, but I can use all three colors together so it's sort of pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I own the baby pink single & it's just okay..a little chalky and not great color payoff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience with this Rimmel quad. I actually clicked on this link because one of the YT beauty gals I subscribed to, MegsMakeup, swears by Rimmel Glam Eyes in Afternoon Tea. She's included it in her favorites a few times, and says it's a great neutral quad.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig